Expressions Academy was formed by Daniella Hobbs and Jenny Howells in the summer of 2011 after years of planning and preparation to offer more arts engagement in Hemel Hempstead. The company idea started with the success of a programme they ran called 1Vision Summer Schools which started in 2009, and soon grew to be the extremely diverse programme of events, classes, workshops, performance, social opportunities and more, that we know today.
Our vision as a Christian CIC in 2019, is to see thousands of people of all ages, regardless of belief, impacted positively by the arts.
Daniella, as Founding Director, remains at the core of the company, with a number of team members supporting and working alongside her (you can find out more on the team page).
Expressions Academy timeline:
– Expressions Academy became a Community Interest Company (CIC) – Directors Hannah Delaney and Louisa Criscenti-Brown were appointed alongside Founding Director Daniella.
– Continuing on the success of our event at Easter, we ran our first Arts All Together at Easter in collaboration with St George’s Church in Hemel Hempstead.
– E.A. CIC ran the creative prayer tent at the Walk of Witness on Good Friday.
– Held a Creative Prayer and Reflection space at Nash Mills COE School.
– Claire Brooks joined the team as Administrator and Art club assistant.
– Started working with Youth Across Hemel to provide Creative Prayer and Reflection spaces.
– We collaborated with St George’s Church to run Arts All Together at Christmas.
– Started an art club in Nash Mills COE school and Chaulden Infants School in Hemel Hempstead.
– Performed for the first time in Hemel Hempstead Town Centre.
– Started our class Finding Me: A creative class for toddlers.
– Katie Brooks joined the Expressions Academy team as a Drama teacher.
– We started running Fitsteps classes for Cedar Tree Children’s Centre.
– Started running an advanced contemporary dance class at the Salvation Army.
– Ran our first Messy May Day in May half term.
– Comic relief Crafternoon held at Chaulden Junior School.
– Dance classes in collaboration with make a move dance academy & Chaulden Adventure Playground.
– The Art Social for adults started and runs once a half term!
– Team trip to Bolivia, South America to build ties with Expreciones and spread creativity.
– After 5 years of running, Expressions Academy ran a show to celebrate at Boxmoor playhouse.
– Our 1,2 Step beginners dance class moved to Two Waters Primary School.
– Fitsteps dance exercise class started at Two Waters Primary School.
– After school Art club started at Chaulden Junior School.
– After school dance class started at Chaulden Junior School.
– Expressions Academy is an official registered trademark!
– Started our Double digits dance class for 10+ years.
– Ran a DAY OF DANCE in the Summer holidays.
– Ran a fundraiser for the Hospice of St Francis at South Hill Centre.
– Daniella trained to become a Fitsteps instructor and started running classes at South Hill Centre.
– After school clubs started at South Hill Primary School.
– Our Diddy dance course started at Cedar House in Apsley.
– Anybody Dance Class – class for those with disabilities.
– Running drama workshops in partnership with the National Autistic Society.
-Moved offices to Cedar House in Apsley.
-Started teaching dance classes in Broadfield Primary School
– Officially opened our studios at Haven House in Hemel Hempstead.
– Expressions Academy became a Limited Company.